I love this quote from Michael Kors who was recently interviewed for In Style magazine. He shares, "Don’t dress to go with your age. Dress to go with your body. So much depends on self image! I know women over 49 who love their legs and 29 year old girls who hate their arms. Don’t let ‘age rules’ dictate what you wear." If you read my book ‘Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It‘ you’ll know I highly endorse this perspective. Sometimes we are what we wear and if you dress frumpy, you sure won’t be turning any heads.
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Celebrate your inner lioness and break out all the stops, regardless of how you spend your evening. Here are 7 quick tips to guide you!
- Take time to style your hair. So many women I work with just don’t bother and they have a litany of excuses as to why. If merely to please the man in your life on V-Day (or to get glammed for yourself) take the time to style your hair in a way that makes you feel beautiful.
- Wear a skirt or dress. For most of us it’s winter and we’re all clothed up. Show off some leg on Monday. Don a pair of textured stockings that are all the rage now. Or show your arms. Or a little cleavage. Or a peek of your back. You will feel more feminine and will exude allure.
- Please go the extra mile with your make-up, especially your lips and eyes. You can’t imagine the difference it makes to your sparkle quotient. Dare to paint your lips a shade of red. Put on a couple coats of mascara. Try a new eye shadow. Make your command central, your face, simply irresistible.
- Come thee bejeweled. This is one of those days when you want to bring your ‘A’ game. Dangly earrings, a statement necklace, killer cuffs on the wrists, blinging rings-all good. Wearing jewelry will make you feel as fabulous as you’re going to look.
- Even if you’re a tall gal like I am, heels really do make you strut that much more convincingly. I’m not asking you to wear them all day now and they don’t have to be 4". Just skip the flats, ok?
- Wear a color that makes you pop! Ensure that there is no mistaking that you are Present and just radiating beauty. Any color that makes your eyes sparkle will be a winner.
- Wear a scent that will make your man want to cuddle with you all night. Perfume is an invisible accessory but on a day like this it can seal the deal. Your man will be hopelessly and happily yours all night long.
Natalie Jobity, Elan Image Management, an image consulting firm